Re: Global Font Lock by default

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Global Font Lock by default
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 11:47:13 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

  > > I am not 100% sure I know what the intended behavior of --color is.
  >
  > That could mean that the documentation is not clear enough.  Could you
  > tell what is unclear in the manual where it describes this option?

The parts that describe the "no", "default" and "ansi8" options are
clear.

This part:

    `NUM'
          Use color mode for NUM colors.  If NUM is -1, turn off color
          support (equivalent to `never'); if it is 0, use the default
          color support for this terminal (equivalent to `auto');
          otherwise use an appropriate standard mode for NUM colors.
          Depending on your terminal's capabilities, Emacs might be
          able to turn on a color mode for 8, 16, 88, or 256 as the
          value of NUM.  If there is no mode that supports NUM colors,
          Emacs acts as if NUM were 0, i.e. it uses the terminal's
          default color support mode.
     If MODE is omitted, it defaults to ANSI8.

is a bit unclear.

One thing that is missing is stating the the point of this option. Why
would a user want to use it? (some use-cases would be helpful).

The meaning of "If there is no mode that supports NUM colors" is
unclear. How is this "support" determined? (For example
if terminfo says colors#256, does that mean that --color=88 is
supported? How about 16 or 8 ?)

As I said I am not sure what the intended behavior is, so I can't
"fix" the docs myself.

      --dan