Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 08:44:52 +0200

> From: "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 21:51:22 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>     But I would suggest improving find-file to catch the error in switch-
>     to-buffer and show the buffer in another window in that case, at
>     least when called interactively.
>
> Why do you find it so often useful to invoke Find File
> while you're in a minibuffer?

I think a more important question is why disable it, not why it could
be useful.  Here's one situation where it could be useful to me.

Sometimes, when I type in the minibuffer, I need to consult some file.
If it's already in a displayed window, I can go there with "C-x o"
(important when the part I want to read is not in the displayed
portion), but if it isn't in any window, I have no way of looking at
it except abort whatever I'm doing in the minibuffer, which is
annoying.

I learned to live with that, but I'd certainly be happier if we lifted
that limitation.