Re: Bug, probably related to Custom Themes.

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Bug, probably related to Custom Themes.
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 23:11:15 +0100

Luc Teirlinck wrote:

Richard Stallman wrote:

      Maybe we could change "Reset to Current" to "Discard Edits", as
      somebody suggested at one point ("Reset to current" is not going to
      reset any setting, only text in the Custom buffer.)

  How about "Show Current Settings" or "Show Current Values"?

It is longer than the current text and, to me, not clearer at all.
Actually, it would be confusing, certainly for the whole buffer
button.  It makes it appear that you have to press this button to see
the current values and makes you wonder what the shown values are
(defaults, saved values?).  For the State button message, the plural
is wrong.
Perhaps it would be more clear if the button corresponding to the values that is shown were disabled and dimmed? Or maybe replaced with a text like "Showing Current Values"?

But as Luc point out this would require changing the logic too.

"Reset to Saved" does exactly what it says: it resets to the saved
value.  It does not just show the saved value.
Actually, "Erase Customization" is not that bad.  I just thought
changing "Reset to Current" to "Discard Edits" would make it still
more clear that the edits in the buffer are just edits, not
customizations, thereby eliminating any confusion for
"Erase Customization" as well.
I like Erase Customization too.