Re: faq.texi

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: faq.texi
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 23:52:09 +0200

>> But whatever, I still wouldn't want to lose C-y from within searches.
>> Sometimes C-y followed by M-e and a few backspaces is more convenient
>> than repeated C-w.
>
> I second that.  I'm also using C-y in isearch quite often.  Another
> application for it on diffs is to do C-s C-y on a context line, then
> change to the file that this diff is based on and do C-s C-s to find
> the context line here.

This is one of the typical examples when I use C-y in isearch too.
Another one is to check two multi-line sections of the same buffer
(such duplicate sections can appear after merge conflicts or after
copying from different sources) and to find the first different line.

But this doesn't mean that I like C-y as a keybinding.  I need only
its function isearch-yank-line, and would accept any other keybinding.

BTW, there is one problem with multi-line lazy highlighting: isearch
doesn't highlight partially visible matches, i.e. when a match begins
before (window-end) and ends after it.  This is due to the meaning of the
argument `limit' of `search-forward' which specifies the lower bound of
the search, i.e. (match-end 0).  Without an ability to specify the
upper bound of the search, isearch lazy highlighting can't highlight
partially visible matches whose (match-beginning 0) is before (window-end),
and (match-end 0) is after (window-end).

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/