Re: make bootstrap: need moral support. :-(

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: make bootstrap: need moral support. :-(
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 00:18:59 -0500

On Feb 20, 2006, at 16:38, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
I, on the other hand, keep a local subversion branch with the Emacs
sources unchanged, in file:///svnroot/emacs/branches/gnu/. Any changes
*I* make are made to file:///svnroot/emacs/trunk/, so when I need a
clean copy of the source tree, I just remove the checkout of /trunk and
check it out again.

Works for me too... or "svn revert" works pretty well also.

How do the people who work with the repository keep up to date their
sources?  Is there a way to actually _mirror_ the CVS changes, like
CVSup or similar?

Well, you can rsync from the FSF CVS repository, so you can have a local copy updated fairly efficiently. I do that, but only because it makes the "svk sync" process I use to mirror the repository into Subversion go much faster. :-) (To mirror CVS into SVN, you can install the VCP package and its SVN interface. I think cvs2svn might also work for incremental updates, but last I looked, the docs seemed to suggest that it was not intended for that and it might not work. Oh, and SVN doesn't like one of the filenames in the CVS repository, which has a control character in its name; I just tell rsync to leave it out.)

Ken