Re: defcustom :version

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: defcustom :version
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 17:32:00 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

   I don't follow the scenario you describe, but don't bother explaining
   it.  Reduction down to 2635 lines is not enough reduction to make the
   situation much better.  We need stronger measures.  We need to give
   this some structure.

   Here's an idea.  customize-changed could work like customize-browse,
   except that it would show only the groups that cover settings which
   have changed meanings.

   What do you think?

That would obviously not reduce the total number of listed options.
(There quite simply is no way to reduce that substantially.)  It would
not help somebody wanting to take a look at all of them (quite to the
contrary).  And with the current one-buffer layout, at least they are
listed alphabetically and one can use C-s.  It would also not do
anything about the problem that the command may take a very long time
on slow machines (it could actually make it worse).

So I do not believe that this change would be a good idea.  I believe
we should just leave things as they are.

Sincerely,

Luc.