Re: Binding a command to the down-event of a toolbar button

From: M Jared Finder
Subject: Re: Binding a command to the down-event of a toolbar button
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 22:40:01 -0700

Richard Stallman wrote:
So then you're okay with adding a way to distinguish between mouse-1, mouse-2 and mouse-3 events, and down and up events?

I am talking about drag events.  Only about drag events.
Please do not confuse separate issues.

I feel like you are evading my questions. The original post I replied to was about down events, not drag events. I brought up drag events as a similar extension that would be useful in addition.

Can you please give a direct answer to the following question. If you have different reasons for different parts, state each reason:

Why are you against adding the necessary code to allow alternate mouse keys, distinguishing between down and up events, and drag events to be added? I can think of multiple reasons why you *might* not want to add these events:

* It'd take too much time and be too complicated to implement.
* It'd be difficult to integrate into the existing code base.
* I don't like it; it's not a proven UI style.
* We're trying to get to a release of Emacs 22.

If you're not against adding such functionality, I'd rather just code up a patch and stop talking about its merits. At worst, the extra functionality is just left unused.

  -- MJF