Re: address@hidden: grep-tree doesn't shell-quote-argument]

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: address@hidden: grep-tree doesn't shell-quote-argument]
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 15:28:53 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> I think that what Kim suggests (rename grep-find to
> grep-find-command, grep-tree to grep-find-template, and introduce a
> new grep-find which calls either of the two depending on nilness of
> current-arg-prefix) is the way to go.  Much better than introducing
> a complex configuration and prefix-arg protocol to choose what to do
> when.

Strike the complexity.  Use of a prefix arg to make it possible to
post-edit the command is, IMO, a good idea.  Quite often one wants to
start a command that is almost, but not quite, like the default
recipe.  Kim's suggestion to use an alias for configuration between
two separate commands is not customize-friendly.  And it offers no
reasonable way to actually get both: prompting for the parts, and a
final opportunity for editing the resulting command before sending it
off.

I think the latter is important enough to offer this with a prefix
argument, and this can't be easily accomplished if there is no unified
command that can actually prompt for the parts as well as the finished
command.