Re: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 20:36:19 +0300

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 09:51:45 -0700
>
>     My day job is with a large company, where almost all code developers
>     use Windows as their desktop OS and either Windows or GNU/Linux as the
>     target OS.  So I'm speaking from experience, not from theory.
>
> Good. So we have similar experience here. In that case, why do you think
> that few "Windows users even consider a prospect of accessing remote files"?

Because I never heard anyone of them ask.  (As you can imagine, if
they have _any_ question about Emacs, the come to me.)

>     (And generally PuTTY is a wonderful package, IMHO.  I am using it for
>     several years, and I have yet to see a single serious bug or
>     misfeature.  Since I have it installed, I never looked back on the
>     Cygwin ports of ssh.)
>
> Can you (or someone else) point to a simple set of instructions for using
> plink and PuTTY?

PuTTY comes with an online manual which is very readable and includes
detailed explanation of every option.  But in general, the defaults
work well.

After unzipping the executables, all you need to do to configure PuTTY
is to fill the few items in the session configuration dialog that pops
when you click on PuTTY's icon, and then save the session definitions--
they will be used automatically for that host thereafter.  The only
things that I change, apart of the host address and the session name,
is the location of the private key file, and sometimes the auto-login
username.  (I also play with colors, but that's just because I'm a
color customization junkie.)  That's it!

Plink is a command-line utility that is an ssh work-alike, it accepts
a somewhat different, but similar, set of command-line options.

> I still want to use Cygwin's bash shell on Windows for other Emacs
> stuff, though.

I don't think you will have any problems with PuTTY wrt Cygwin (for
example, PuTTY opens its own window, unrelated to the shell's window),
but only experience will show, since I myself don't use Cygwin at all.