Re: comint-insert-input on non-command lines:

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: comint-insert-input on non-command lines:
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 09:38:29 +1200

 > I claimed that the mouse-2 behavior was confusing with your latest
 > changes applied and with comint-use-prompt-regexp non-nil.  How long
 > have you been using mouse-2 in this situation?  mouse-2 copies old
 > text to the current command line in the entire Comint buffer and never
 > yanks.  This is very confusing behavior to me.

The first complaint was that C-c RET doesn't work everywhere, now you're
saying you don't like it because mouse-2 *does* work everyhere.

 >    Fields provide the opportunity to distinguish between input and output:
 >    I think we should use it.
 >
 > I was talking about people who wanted to use `C-c RET' to insert old
 > output at the current prompt.  Given the current code, people who want
 > that have to set comint-use-prompt-regexp non-nil and hence can not
 > use fields.  That is what seems weird to me.

Thats how comint works: with comint-prompt-regexp or with fields.  Its not my
choosing.

Anyway, my position seems to be increasingly untenable so I've put
comint-copy-old-input back on C-c RET and comint-insert-input just on mouse-2.
As you are more enthusiastic about this arrangement than me, could you please
update the docs.  I don't intend to make any further changes to comint.el so
you are free to do so if you wish.