Re: pop-up-frames inconvenience

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: pop-up-frames inconvenience
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 17:30:17 -0400

> * Drew Adams <address@hidden> [2006-06-05 14:00:38 -0700]:
>
>     > 1. address@hidden is the proper list for this kind of
>     > question.
>
>     Not for the CVS version of Emacs, it isn't.
>     Sam, please keep this discussion on emacs-devel, thanks.
>
> If I understand Sam's complaint, this behavior (with the possible
> exception of message-send-and-exit) is not at all new to CVS Emacs.

indeed this might be wrong time (as Emacs is approaching a release) but
this is definitely the right place to discuss _design_ issues related to
multi-frame operations.
to put it bluntly, pop-up-frames does not work as one would expect it
to, requiring plenty of hacks to make, e.g., separate minibuffer frame
usable.

two independent paths appear to be promising:

1. make all frames that are not explicitly created by the user
   "dedicated" (then quit-window will delete them)

2. some buffers are not "stand-alone" but tied to the current
   (minibuffer) operation (e.g., *Completions*).
   maybe they should be prevented from creating their own frames.
   maybe completion should be done via a non-buffer mechanism (like
   baloon help?)

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) on Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux)
http://truepeace.org http://palestinefacts.org http://openvotingconsortium.org