Re: Emacs geometry

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs geometry
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 02:38:21 -0400

> From: Sridhar Boovaraghavan <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 04:57:05 +0000 (UTC)
>
> 3. If the user has repositioned the emacs window before exiting, then I may be
> persuaded to see it coming back to that position when restarted given no other
> settings like +0+0 or a defined Left/Top. Even if so, what if he had two
> frames
> open while exiting - do we keep the position of the frame that had the focus
> as
> where emacs would come up - maybe there are other similar questions that need
> be discussed.

You see, this is only the tip of the iceberg; there are other related
issues that need to be discussed, decided, implemented, tested,
rewritten according to users' bug/misfeatures reports, tested again,
etc.  For example: what do we do under "emacs -Q"? do we honor the
previous recorded values or ignore them? how about "emacs -Q -D"?
Etc., etc.

Finally, Emacs doesn't behave like that on other platforms (AFAIK),
i.e. it doesn't come up where you positioned it the last time, so
this would be a deviation from the common behavior principle.

This is why I think now is not the time to implement such a feature.

> 4. If the user specifies HxW+X+Y in Emacs.Geometry, how about populating
> default-frame-alist with those values (given that he doesn't specify another
> value for it through his .emacs or .custom)?

H and W _do_ get into default-frame-alist, as the `height' and `width'
frame paramaters; if this doesn't work for you, please report that as
a bug.  X and Y are only put into the initial-frame-alist, because the
idea is that these two geometry parameters are meant only for the
initial frame.  (The fact that the Windows port of Emacs currently
ignores X and Y is a bug that should be fixed: we did obey them in
version 21.4.)