Re: C file recoginzed as image file

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: C file recoginzed as image file
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 01:19:27 +0100

On 1/9/07, Stuart D. Herring <address@hidden> wrote:

It's true that a JPEG image is a JPEG image, but "foo.jpg" (or even
"foo.c") is not a JPEG image, it's a file (well, a filename, but consider
the associated file).  And a (seekable) file is a sequence of bytes, not
an image.  An image can be constructed from it, but just as you said it's
a matter of how you treat it.

I don't know about you, but I don't have "seekable sequences of bytes"
in my Pictures folder. I have images (of my dogs, mostly). I use them
as images: I display them, print them, send them to Flickr and pass
them to other people so they can admire my dogs. That these pictures
are also "seekable sequences of bytes" is an implementation detail. If
I ever want to access one of these pictures from Emacs, 99,999999% of
time I'll want them as images, not as any other thing.

Finally, remember that we don't have a concept of "that image" for
counting usage: this decision has to be made the first time we see a file,
regardless of its history of usage.

Then the decision and heuristics should be geared towards the most
common use, shouldn't it?

                   /L/e/k/t/u