Re: Image mode

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Image mode
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 23:25:21 +0100

On 2/5/07, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:

So: can anyone provide an alternative?

I think the first step would be to summarize the existing
alternatives. I don't mean a terse description, I mean to explain the
interaction between auto-detection, the major and minor image modes
(and image-mode-maybe), auto-mode-alist, magic-mode-alist,
image-type-*-regexps, image-file-name-*, what to do with find-file vs.
find-file-noselect, how *each* known image type (know to Emacs, I
mean) is going to be treated, what customization options are we going
to provide (for example, I'd really like to deactivate all the
security stuff and just make Emacs open images by contents, not file
extension), etc.

Currently it is difficult to see how everything already implemented
interacts, and every patch (including, I think, the last you proposed)
has been shown to have unexpected and undesired consequences.
                   /L/e/k/t/u