Re: Image mode

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Image mode
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 15:46:53 +0000

Stefan Monnier wrote:
It would make a lot of sense to add entries to auto-mode-alist so as to open
*.xpm and *.xbm in "c-mode + image-minor-mode".  Similarly, postscript-mode
(c|sh)ould automatically turn on image-minor-mode.

This is how it was before the magic-mode-alist changes were made. My recent patch to use image-mode-maybe instead of image-mode in magic-mode-alist should have restored this feature.

The problem is now people are proposing to use image-mode-maybe for a different purpose, and when I brought up that the change would break the original use of image-mode-maybe, the suggestion was to make the change anyway and introduce a new function to do the old job of image-mode-maybe. This seems backwards to me, which is why I suggest we leave things as they are and get on with the release, and redesign things properly after the release.