Re: Default of jit-lock-stealth-time

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Default of jit-lock-stealth-time
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 09:31:17 +0100

> More discussion of who has, and who has not, been inconvenienced by
> stealth fontification is not really useful, because we already know
> that it is a substantial inconvenience for some users.

And let us not forget that this inconvience is unexpected, gives Emacs
a bad name (since it sucks up CPU even when idle) and is
non-debuggable, since timer functions run with quit turned off.  It is
completely impossible for the average affected user (heck, it was even
for me until Richard gave me a direct pointer to stealth fontification
after a bug report of mine) to find out which of the thousands of
settings inside of Emacs is responsible for the problem.

So it is a bad idea for a default setting.

> The question now is whether it _avoids_ a substantial inconvenience
> for a substantial fraction of users.

That would make it a good idea for a prominently accessible user
option.  I'd still think it a bad idea for a default setting.