Re: Default of jit-lock-stealth-time

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Default of jit-lock-stealth-time
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:42:04 +0100

> So it seems plain stupid to release it with a setting that will impact
> and annoy users and cause a support burden after the release.

While I agree with all of David's arguments (and even add the one that
a buffer tail is stealthily refontified after every single buffer change
followed by 16 secs idleness) I'm afraid that setting this to nil won't
remove any support burden.  Many major modes still work better when they
are allowed to fontify a buffer from beginning to end.

Also, when a mode uses font-lock to assign `syntax-table' properties,
there's a slight chance that an editing sequence that worked with
stealth fontification turned on will not work any more when stealth
fontification is turned off.  Having fontification assign syntax-table
properties is certainly flawed by design but at the moment there's no
other way to do that automatically.

With other words, setting this to nil may cause some obscure bugs get
reported (and hopefully fixed) earlier ...

martin, who has stealth fontification turned off ever since