Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 13:07:15 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 20:38:24 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Why should we add hacks to encoded-kbd-mode to work around a bug in the w32
> support, rather than fix this w32 code?  Especially since encoded-kbd-mode
> is used on every platform, so we would risk introducing bugs for users on
> favored platforms like GNU/Linux for the sake of users on w32???

Full agreement.

On top of this, if Kenichi says that it wouldn't be easy, I submit
that it shouldn't be done at all before the release.

> Fixing it right shouldn't be hard, really.  No harder than changing
> encoded-kbd-mode.  We just need someone to do it.

Actually, I don't think it's as easy as you think (since obviously the
way Windows does non-ASCII keyboard input is radically different from
X11), but it doesn't matter.

> If we can't find this someone, then we should probably leave this bug.
> After all it's been there in one form or another since Emacs-20.

Agreed.  And that's why I installed the PROBLEMS entry suggested by
Kenichi.