Re: Calc: `*' binds more strongly than `/'

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Calc: `*' binds more strongly than `/'
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:03:04 +0200

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> Christian Schlauer wrote:
>>> Perhaps after the release I could add a customizable variable,
>>> `calc-multiplication-has-precedence' (default t), and then anyone that
>>> wants to can set it to nil and try out the different behavior.
>>>

>> Rather make the default nil so that new users can use Calc and Org
>> like *any* pocket calculator or *any* spreadsheet...
>>

> I agree. It would help flush out any problems with other packages that
> rely on calc's unusual precedence, and if we found that it caused too
> much trouble we have plenty of time to switch it back for the next
> release.

I seem to be the only one who have spoken in favour of the current
precedence rule, but I'm only a casual user of calc, so my opinion
shouldn't matter here!

I'd be just as happy with the "standard" precedence.

Besides, I usually add () to mixtures of / and * anyway (for clarity
and/or to dictate a specific evaluation order to get maximum precision
in the result).