Re: Reordering etc/NEWS

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Reordering etc/NEWS
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 10:57:35 +0200

>     But we are not your enemies, and this is not a conspiracy to badger
>     you.  It just happened that quite a few of us disagree with your ideas
>
> And some of them have been badgering me to do things their way.  I don't
> want to participate in discussions with that feel to them.

I don't know if you feel that _I_ have been badgering you, but that
has never been my intention -- my only concern has been for the best
of the project.

You obviously have very specific ideas and principles on how to "make
progress towards" a release -- but it is also a fact (IMO) that those
ideas are not efficient in terms of actually "making" a release.

In my professional work, I have a lot of experience with making
releases actually happen -- at regular and _planned_ intervals, as
well as making interrim (often customer specific) releases of big and
complex software.  So I know that _my_ principles works!

I don't understand why you take it as a personal offence to even
question or discuss your principles.  AFAICS, most people on the team
agree that they have failed miserably.  Ok, we are very close to a
release now, but it's been 6 years since the last major release.

The problem with your principles is not only the (forever delayed)
release as such, but just as much the implied "feature freeze" which
is really blocking a lot of new development on the project.

The current feature freeze has now lasted for more than 3 years,
during which Emacs _development_ has practically been at a
stand-still, so it is no wonder your team of _loyal_ developers is
getting frustrated and starts to question your principles, and
may start looking for other (more productive) projects to work on.

That -- and only that -- is my concern.

Whether you then feel offended or badgered by my concerns and the ways
I have expressed them (I admit to have been exaggerating at times due
to my growing frustration) is your choice.