[multi-tty] X or tty (was Re: Emacs port status)

From: csant
Subject: [multi-tty] X or tty (was Re: Emacs port status)
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 21:56:53 +0200

Some feedback as a *user* of this feature. Please disregard if I am talking rubbish.

On Fri, 18 May 2007 21:09:12 +0200, Károly Lőrentey <address@hidden> wrote:

   1. Emacsclient opens a new frame by default.  It prefers X, but
      falls back to tty when necessary or when forced, just like Emacs
      itself.

The simplest case is running server and client both in X, and expected behaviour would be for the client to prefer X. Equally obvious would be the case where no X is available, and both the server and the client run in console. I can easily see use cases for running the emacs server without X (in screen, or in console) and expect emacsclients to draw their frame on the X display they are invoked on. I can a bit less easily imagine cases where you'd run the server in X, and clients on a display but wanting them to open the frame in terminal. In my personal workflow I am running both the server and the clients on an X display *in terminal* (-nw and -t respectively). It gets tedious to add a -t to each emacsclient call, and I'd wish for it to be `smarter' in understanding `what I mean'.

Ideally, I'd like the client to inherit by default any `forced' flags set to the server, i.e. to start by default with -t when the server was deliberately started -nw in an environment that does have $DISPLAY set. This could be overwritten in the client with -d .

Would that break more expected behaviours than fix some?
/c