Re: modify-syntax-entry and UTF8?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: modify-syntax-entry and UTF8?
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 12:56:29 -0400

> However, if create an empty scratch buffer and I move the cursor on top of
> either of the glyphs they become highlighted, but with the face that is used
> for matched delimiters rather than the face mismatch/unmatched delimiters.
> Adding both glyphs to an empty buffer in correctly and incorrectly matching
> permutations gives the same behavior.

> So I am inclined to believe Stefan's hypothesis that modify-syntax-entry is
> working correctly here and instead whatever code actually interprets the
> syntax table or performs the actual adjustment to the faces for highlighting
> has a bug of some sort.

Try to use C-M-f and C-M-b to see if the code correctly counts
opening/closing elements (this code doesn't pay attention to matching or
non-matching elements).  If this works, then 99% of things are right.

Then, please tell us what you use to cause face-highlighting of those
opening&closing elements.  Ideally, give us a recipe starting from
"emacs -Q" which can reproduce your problem.

> I'm also somewhat curious that Emacs tells me that no font is available for
> these glyphs, but Thunderbird seems to be able to locate a font that can be
> used to display them.

Emacs's font handling is quite different.  You may need to help it a bit by
specifying which font to use.  I'm not sure how to do that since you seem to
be using the emacs-unicode branch and I'm not yet familiar enough with it.

Maybe start a different thread about it, and don't forget to mention
emacs-unicode in there so the right people will look at it.

        Stefan