Re: adding new modes

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: adding new modes
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 10:37:22 +0200

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 5/28/07, Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I think it would be good if Emacs included "lua-mode.el"
>
> Sometime ago there was a request to include a ruby mode; though, truth
> be told, the standard ruby distribution already includes such a mode:
>
>  http://svn.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/trunk/misc/

Well, "include" and "create" are two different things, so it is not
surprising that a mode already exists.

What we need to evaluate in such cases is whether

a) the mode works with Emacs 22+ sufficiently well
b) has the functionality one would expect from some a standard mode
c) has a current pace of change that does not make its inclusion into
Emacs (which optimistically speaking won't get release updates more
than twice a year) absurd
d) is a language of sufficient interest for free software

The last point is, in my opinion, the case for both Lua and Ruby.  I
have no data or experience to judge the other points.