Re: address@hidden: RE: cannot find :enable in Elisp manualindex]

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: address@hidden: RE: cannot find :enable in Elisp manualindex]
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 17:21:04 -0500

    That seems simple enough.  Is there any flaw in it?

Not that I know of.

   I am completely baffled by that.  What does `%5ctypein' refer to?

%5c is HTML-ese for \.  The name of the node is "\typein" with a
backslash.  Sorry, I should have picked a simpler node name for the example.

   Why is it there?

So there can be references to this node from elsewhere.

   What does `g_t_005ctypein' refer to?  Why is it there?

It's another name for the same node due to annoying technicalities whose
details are not at the front of my mind.  Don't worry about it, I don't
think it affects anything here.

    What does `accesskey' mean?

On browsers that support it, users can press "n" (or whatever) and have
it do something useful.

    Anyway, if we replace Info format, we do not have to preserve
    the current layout of the line at the top of a node.

I suppose, but I see nothing wrong with the current layout of the top of
a node in makeinfo's HTML output.

Anyway, the point is not to debate node line output.  All this was just
an example.  The point is to show the drastic difference between
makeinfo's HTML and XML output, both of which (among others) were being
proposed at various times for a "new generation" Emacs Info reader.

karl