Re: Saving markup formats

From: Nic James Ferrier
Subject: Re: Saving markup formats
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 01:22:31 +0100

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

> What is it you are trying to do? I get an impression that you want to
> Write OpenOffice in Emacs, but I guess I am exaggerating.

Heh.

I find it frustrating that I sometimes have to use OpenOffice or
Word. I would prefer to use Emacs for editing Word and OpenDoc files
(and Abiword and ....)

But I do think it is a massive exaggeration to say that I want to
write OpenOffice in Emacs... I don't.

It seems to me that _most_ of a word processing program like OO or
Word is:

- wysiwyg display code
- integration with other apps
- definition of styles

and I don't see that Emacs has to do any of those things to have a
useful editor for OpenDoc files (for example).

> Maybe some ideas for how to find and edit important parts of an
> OpenOffice doc would be useful?

Yeah. Sure. That'd be great.

Or were you asking me? I have a clue... but I'm not really interested
in editing them as XML files.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk