Re: Don't concat directories to file names

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Don't concat directories to file names
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 21:51:42 -0400

    Compare the variable data-directory.  user-data-directory would be like
    data-directory, except for the user.

Ok, I will agree to `user-data-directory'.

    > What these files all have in common is that they are used
    > in special ways by Emacs.

    Which is so generic as to not mean anything IMO.

Exactly -- the only thing they have in common is having a special
relationship to Emacs.

    > The function could be `locate-user-emacs-directory'

    The function does not locate a directory, but a file.

In that case, both `locate-user-XYZ-directory' and `find-user-XYZ-directory'
are bad names for it.

                                                          It's intended to
    return the path for a filename, i.e., if a module wants to save its
    data in ".my-module" and your $HOME is /home/you, and
    `user-emacs-directory' is at default value, then

     (function-without-a-name ".my-module")

    will return "/home/you/.my-module" if it exists, else
    "/home/you/.emacs.d/.my-module" (creating /home/you/.emacs.d/ as
    needed).

I suggest the name `locale-emacs-data-file'.