Re: Icicles doc - file 1/2 (was: propose adding Icicles to Emacs)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Icicles doc - file 1/2 (was: propose adding Icicles to Emacs)
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 19:47:12 -0400

    >     ;;   C-h f  c h a r  S-TAB - display all function names that
    >     ;;   contain `char'.
    >     ;;
    >     ;;   M-*  d e l e t e  - narrow that set of names to those
    >     ;;   that also contain `delete'.
    >
    > I wonder if it would be more convenient to interpret
    > some syntax for this, such as `char&delete'.

    I don't think so, but perhaps I don't fully see what you're proposing. You
    can type `char S-SPC delete' to do the same thing. A priori, I am against
    using printable characters such as `&' for this kind of thing.

I think it would be more convenient to use `char&delete'
because that way the minibuffer contents would SHOW the search criterion.

    I avoid wasting normal editing keys and printable-character keys in the
    minibuffer. In Icicles, for instance, `?' is simply self-inserting
    (always) - it is `C-?' that brings up Icicles help.

I do not want to remove the minibuffer's binding of `?'.
Adding one new feature is not a reason to delete another old feature.

Icicles makes many different changes which are logically independent,
and each one needs to be judged separately.