RE: Icicles doc - file 1/2 (was: propose adding Icicles to Emacs)

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Icicles doc - file 1/2 (was: propose adding Icicles to Emacs)
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 19:59:58 -0700

>     > That feature has a conflict.  `Up' and `down' in the minibuffer move
>     > thru the history; that works for all minibuffer arguments, with or
>     > without completion.  So if we are to install this feature, it needs
>     > to be on other keys.
>
>     I am aware of that conflict.
>
>     There are multiple keys assigned to history next and
>     previous. I see no reason why there are so many keys (6)
>     consecrated to this. `M-n' and `M-p' are still available
>     for the history in Icicles (as in vanilla Emacs). This
>     is anyway configurable in Icicles. If you want to use
>     different keys, you can.
>
> The reason for making UP and DOWN do this is for coherence with other
> applications.  It is a valid and important reason.
>
> So please look for other bindings for your new commands.

I mentioned that this is configurable in Icicles. You can use any keys you
like for this Icicles feature, if you decide to add it to Emacs.

You can also decide, for instance, to adopt only the optional modal behavior
that some Icicles users prefer. In that case, you need only two keys for all
of: history cycling, prefix-completion cycling, and apropos-completion
cycling. The current mode determines the behavior of those two keys.