Re: Saving the selection before killing

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Saving the selection before killing
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 23:05:13 +0200

>     > The question is how much slowdown this feature adds when there is no
>     > selection.
>
>     Uh, why?
>
> Because (1) usually there is no selection,

I don't find it uncommon to have one.  Indeed, with Emacs' transient
mark mode (which is part of a lot of user convenience settings), one
has a selection quite often without particular purpose.

> and (2) when there is a selection, that means you want this feature
> to do something useful for you.

See above.

>             Can we rule out that there are large selections?
>
> If we install this feature, it means we call on users to make sure to
> have selections in other programs, when they kill in Emacs, only when
> they want to pull those selections into Emacs.

Given that Emacs itself pretty lusciously waves selections around when
transient-mark-mode is enabled, that sounds like a rather heavy
request which Emacs itself does not heed.