Re: pp-eval-expression enhancements

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: pp-eval-expression enhancements
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 20:49:00 -0400

> Since it's impossible to find heuristics that would decide whether to
> display the result in the echo area, or to pop up a separate result buffer
> (because only the user can decide this), I use the following post-advice
> on shell-command:

>     (when (memq last-input-char '(S-return ?\C-j))
>       (message "")
>       (pop-to-buffer "*Shell Command Output*"))

I'm afraid that it's still too early: the user still has to decide where the
result goes before seeing that result.  A better option might be to provide
a new command that can be executed right after M-: which would show the last
result in a separate buffer, pretty printed, highlighted, and all.

        Stefan