Re: Summary (Re: A system for localizing documentation strings)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Summary (Re: A system for localizing documentation strings)
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 14:54:43 +0300

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 20:15:16 +0900
>
> gettext has nothing to do with emacs. emacs code, as elisp, is data
> and must be considered as such by specific elisp functions created
> for localization.

But the Emacs Lisp interpreter is a C program, and as such, it could
very well use gettext, at least in principle.

> There is absolutely no point in using a non lisp way to extend emacs
> (because we are talking about extending emacs here so that any elisp
> system can be localized within emacs).

While the way to mark translatable strings should be Lisp-friendly,
there's nothing to prevent us from using the translation in low-level
C code.  Why should a Lisp programmer care if the marked string gets
magically translated without any need for Lisp-level changes?