Re: can't turn off font-lock

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: can't turn off font-lock
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:56:00 -0400

    And invoke:
    M-x eval-expression RET (global-font-lock-mode 0) RET

    And now I try a few commands:
    C-h a font-lock RET             (a *Help* buffer)
    M-x grep RET e /etc/issue RET   (grep to get a couple matches)
    M-x shell RET pwd RET

    In all cases, I observe that fontification is happening.  Argh!
    E.g., the "pwd" is highlighted, the grep matches and filenames are
    highlighted, the *Help* buffer is fancily formatted.

I think these cases are different.  I do not observe any fontification
in M-x shell.  In M-x grep, I do observe it, but M-x font-lock-mode
turns it off.  (I wonder why it was on.)

In C-h a font-lock RET, I see faces regardless of whether Font-Lock
mode is enabled.

All that is in the trunk.

Can someone please debug these problems, then ack?