Re: Patch: prefer-window-split-horizontally

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Patch: prefer-window-split-horizontally
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 07:35:24 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Juri,

> What do you think about adding another variable
> `split-window-function' with the default value
> `split-window-vertically' or nil with the same meaning, and the
> possible other value `split-window-horizontally'?  This would be like
> setting `ediff-split-window-function' to `split-window-horizontally'.
>
> Since this value will hold a function we can set it to any function
> that implements different heuristics to decide how to split the
> window: whether to take into account the window size or the window
> name, etc.

I would be happy with that, too.  Well, I think it's even better.  But
we really should come up with some mechanism to utilize the widescreen
displays computers nowadays have.

I think your approach would do that.  This example function would split
horizontally as long as all windows are 80 or more columns wide.

(defun th-split-window-function ()
  (save-window-excursion
    (save-excursion
      (split-window-horizontally)
      (balance-windows)
      (if (>= (let ((edges (window-edges))) (- (nth 2 edges) (nth 0 edges))) 80)
          'split-window-horizontally
        'split-window-vertically))))

Would you try to implement that?

Bye,