Re: Change in emacsclient behavior

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Change in emacsclient behavior
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 21:34:15 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Juri,

>> Normally I don't use several frames, but for emacsclients I like the
>> new behavior.  Making it depend on pop-up-frames wouldn't help me, so
>> I'm for the reversed behavior of the -c option, too.
>
> How about the following default behavior of emacsclient:
>
> 1. When invoked without arguments, display the current frame (-c uses
> the current frame, but this could be customizable to display the
> initial frame or any of existing frames).
>
> 2. When invoked with -e or --eval, display the current frame and eval
> the expression on this frame.

I don't quite understand what is the "current" frame.  What if you have
several frames, none of which has the focus.  Which one is current then?
The last visited one?

> 3. When invoked with one FILE argument, create a new frame with the
> file buffer.
>
> 4. When invoked with multiple FILE arguments, create either one frame
> with windows containing all specified files' buffers, or if
> `pop-up-frames' is non-nil, create as many frames as there are file
> arguments (starting a new Emacs session already does this).

Sounds good to me.

>> But then -c --current-frame would't make sense.
>
> One possible mnemonic for -c is --create-frame.

Agreed.

> BTW, does anyone know how to start a detached Emacs server so that
> after logout and login I could connect to it with emacsclient?

I use screen for that:

    screen -d -m -S EmacsServer emacs -nw

Bye,
Tassilo
--
The air around Chuck Norris is always a balmy 78 degrees.