Re: Outline mode

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: Outline mode
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 18:11:28 -0700 (PDT)

>> With that change, is there even an issue anymore?  I'm not sure I
>> understand all of the original complaint.
>
> This would only introduce more inconsistency to what is already there.
> In my original posting, I only gave C-e as an example of how one might
> get to the location I was talking about, not as the only command I
> ever use to put point in that location.  The problem is not with C-e.
>
> The problem is that the newline after the header is part of the entry,
> and the newline before the next header is not part of the entry.  I
> would like an option to have it the other way around, and I'm willing
> to go so far as to write a new mode so I can have it that way.

I'm sorry if I'm asking you to repeat yourself, but I (approximately like
Stefan) would like to see the UI idea instead of the implementation.  In
my case, though, I'm asking for a (re)description of the UI problem, not
any UI solution.  To make sure we understand the reference case, consider
this case, with the C-e that I'm supporting:

* Header
** Subheading, with elided body...
** Subheading
Shown body.

You can on the second line press C-e (or C-f), have point just after the
'y' in "body", and then proceed to edit as you like, appending to or
shortening the heading.  (Stefan recently put forth a patch to make the
invisibility overlay front-advance to allow the appending case to work
right; I think it should also be rear-advance.)  It's my understanding
that currently a redisplay bug causes the cursor to be displayed after
rather than before the ellipsis, but this is of course cosmetic.  The only
bad thing seems to be that isearch will still unhide the body if we use it
(C-s C-q C-j RET or so) to reach the end of the heading.

Davis

shipping.