Re: ";0c" in terminal with slow connections

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: ";0c" in terminal with slow connections
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 08:28:57 -0700 (PDT)

>>   > It seems that the xterm is generating the proper response,
>>   > which goes back thru ssh to Emacs.
>>   >
>>   > So why doesn't Emacs process it correctly?
>>
>> Emacs uses a read-event with a timer for processing the response,
>> maybe the response does come back before the timer expires, so it is
>                                     ^^^^^^ after
>> processed as normal input.
>
> Yes, I think this is the problem, as it occurs only with connections
> having a high latency (such as ADSL). Is a timer really necessary?

This is of course what I was worried about (and is exactly Stefan's
example) in the thread about this a month ago:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-08/msg00127.html

Would it be better to not have a timeout and just see whether the next
event read looks like an expected response from the terminal?  Of course,
if the user is typing while this code runs, the terminal's response may be
several characters later in the input stream...

Davis

shipping.