Re: font-backend mechanism on Windows and Mac?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: font-backend mechanism on Windows and Mac?
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 17:21:23 -0400

>> > I'm going to release rc2 today or tomorrow, which will complete the
>> > update of the port to unicode-2.
>>
>> Thank you for the good news.
>>
>> > Depending on reported issues, I
>> > think it would soon be ready for committing, depending if people
>> > decide to allow it.
>>
>> Have you already sent the assignment paper to FSF?

> Yes, though this is not the main issue, but whether a contribution of
> this size that would need to be maintained in the future, and provides
> partially overlapping functionality with the existing Carbon port,
> would be accepted.  Some on the list have posted in favor, and none
> have really objected, but that may be because a lot of people don't
> care at the moment, but might if the code were actually going to go
> in.  Though it won't interfere with other ports, aside from the
> presence of a few ifdefs in common files.

> Anyway, the new release is at http://emacs-app.sf.net/

I'm not very interested in replacing Carbon with Cocoa under Mac OS X, but
the fact that it adds support for GNUstep makes it a lot more attractive.

I do hope that it's somewhat limited to the redisplay and that the rest of
the Carbon-Emacs effort (unrelated to UI) will be preserved.  But to tell
you the truth, I do not know what that amounts to, so for all I know,
there's nothing left to preserve there.

        Stefan