Re: font-backend mechanism on Windows and Mac?

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: font-backend mechanism on Windows and Mac?
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 14:58:09 +0100

Kenichi Handa wrote:
> Do you mean that the displaying got slower after the recent
> change?

Perhaps, it does seem a little slower, and the more complex clipping
masks might have caused that, but I think most of the slowness is from
the new font-backend itself. It seems to be outputting a character at a
time, rather than whole lines. It might be due to a workaround in the
Windows code to avoid a Cleartype bug in the old font code (though I'd
expect the old code to be similarly slow in that case), or it might be
not combining multiple redraw requests as the overlapping window is
moved over the Emacs frame.