RE: Toolbar mode on/off

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Toolbar mode on/off
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 00:04:06 -0700

> > In Emacs 22.1, I don't see shrinking of anything. The number of
> > lines displayed is reduced or increased - that's the only change I
> > see.
>
> If you say
> M-x tool-bar-mode RET
>
> 4 times in a row, you end up with the same size frame as before?
> Guess you are lucky then.

Nope. Absolutely no change in frame size, including with emacs -Q. But as I
say, I'm using Emacs 22.1, the released version. Perhaps you are using a
more recent version, in which a bug has been introduced?

> > Just to be sure I understand. Are you saying that turning the
> > tool-bar on or off should have the (side-)effect of changing the
> > font size?
>
> Nonsense.

What's nonsense? That was a question. You seem to be saying that you do see
such a frame size change, but that you agree that it is not desirable. Is
that right?

> > If so, my answer would be no, it should not. Better to change the
> > frame size (if necessary) than the font size, IMO. But I don't see
> > either one change in Emacs 22.1 (and that's good).
>
> You don't see the frame size change at all?  Then you must have a
> particularly lucky relation between toolbar height and font size, or
> your toolkit behaves different from mine (GTK+).

No, I do not see any frame size change, regardless of what font or font size
I use. I'm using 22.1 on MS Windows.