Re: carbon build hangs on startup

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: carbon build hangs on startup
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 12:59:36 +0900

>>>>> On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 19:56:49 -0700, address@hidden (Randal L. Schwartz)
>>>>> said:

YAMAMOTO> Of course it's up to you whether to make such a plea.  But
YAMAMOTO> keep in mind that developers' time and effort for multi-tty
YAMAMOTO> and Unicode support on the Carbon port might be wasted if
YAMAMOTO> the Cocoa/GNUStep port becomes good enough for Emacs 23.  I
YAMAMOTO> don't think it's a good idea to invest them in catching up
YAMAMOTO> with the trunk NOW.

YAMAMOTO> The situation is different from that of pre-22: we have a
YAMAMOTO> brand-new first stable release version running on the Mac
YAMAMOTO> native window system and ordinary Mac users don't need to
YAMAMOTO> use the CVS version, there's an alternative, and the next
YAMAMOTO> major release does not happen too soon.

> So, you're saying that there will be a non-X11 version of Emacs for
> OSX in the works, even though it's not usable just yet?  Do you have
> an idea of when it might be usable?

I'm not saying it is not "usable".  You can try and see it yourself by
downloading it from http://emacs-app.sourceforge.net/.  I think it's
too early to judge if it becomes good enough for Emacs 23.

                                      YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden