Re: Another VC terminology change?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Another VC terminology change?
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:42:49 -0400

>     Isn't filesets.el similar by its functionality to the recently proposed
>     project.el?

> Isn't project.el the facility that lets you specify local bindings for
> a directory?

> fileset.el does a lot more than that.  They are not similar.

>     As for the VC terminology, in contexts where the term "filesets" is
>     ambiguous, it is possible to disambiguate it by using "VC filesets".

> That is better than what we have now, but still rather clumsy,
> so it is not a good solution.  We need a better one.

I think we don't want to restrict the term "file set" to the specific one
corresponding to filesets.el.  Instead, we want to keep it as a fairly
abstract concept, with uses in filesets and VC and other packages
(project.el comes to mind although it doesn't refer to it explicitly).

So, I'd distinguish between "file set" as the general concept, and "VC
fileset" and (filesets.el's) "Fileset" as specific instantiations.

        Stefan