Re: Improving X selection?

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Improving X selection?
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 09:26:08 +0200

Richard Stallman skrev:
The change, if any, I'd like is that C-y and M-w operates on CLIPBOARD, and that PRIMARY is left to mouse operations.

ISTR that there are environments where it is bad to use the clipboard
at all.  I don't remember what they are -- are there people that don't
use the clipboard at all?

As both KDE/Qt and Gnome/Gtk+ are using the same specification where CLIPBOARD is important, that would be some odd/old environment. Suns OpenWindows environment did some strange things with the CLIPBOARD, but it could still be used.

Also, the basic idea seems mistaken.  When I select something in
another program, I select it with the mouse because that's the only
way.  That doesn't mean I should only be able to grab it in Emacs with
the mouse.  C-y should work.

I think the basic idea is to move to a more Mac/W32/CUA-like model. However, older X applications used just PRIMARY.

        Jan D.