Re: frame-local variables weirdness

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: frame-local variables weirdness
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:29:15 -0700

FWIW, let me remind you that XEmacs has specifiers, which allow rather
flexible mix and match of buffer-local, window-local, and frame-local
properties.
The point is that specifiers have a separate API, no unmarked magic.

This has been a workable compromise for me in those cases where I want
to use it (eg, faces, where specifiers implement flexibility very similar to
Emacs's defface; XEmacs's faces are implemented as a wrapper around
a set of specifiers containing display properties).  There are a few other cases
where I've enjoyed the flexibility (usually controlling behavior of functions
associated with active regions in a display, and in controlling display elements
such as toolbars, tabs, and scrollbars).

David Kastrup may have an informative opinion, since he found XEmacs's glyph
(~ Emacs image) API, uh, "annoying" (and even its author admits it's probably
excessively complex and detailed).  But I'm not sure whether he objects to the
idea of such an API, or merely to XEmacs's implementation in glyphs.