Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 01:21:43 +0100

Juri Linkov wrote:
Lennart's version has one drawback: it includes too much unnecessary
and distracting features like excessive coloring and mouse pointer jumping.

They are optional. It is a hard question to decide what feedback is needed. If you want to comment on this you are very welcome. (Maybe read the doc for resize-windows, it tries in the example to explain what is going on. But of course it should be intuitive.)

One might for example argue that the colors should not be that disturbing. My reply would be that it perhaps does not matter that much since those colors are only used shortly during windows resizing. And that it is quite good to get a feeling (through the visual feedback) that the Emacs for a short moment does something different then normally.

Or that the (short) mouse pointer jumping is disturbing. It may be helpful for the beginner I would say. He/she might not notice otherwise and perhaps even have to read the documentation. Turn the jumping off if you do not like it.

But there are probably better arguments from your side.

Neither allows using keys normally bound to window manipulation commands
(`other-window', `split-window', `windmove-...') in window-resizing mode.

I preferred to leave those bindings out, but the user can easily add them by customizing winsize-let-me-use.

I think it would be preferable to make it a global mode (with an
indication string in the mode-line) and redefining a few keybindings for
doing its job.

Hm. I started with a global minor mode (or really from the beginning with a loop while testing). I have not much against that (if you put it in emulation-mode-map-alist). The key bindings should be rather similar though.