Re: record-lisp.el - current status

From: yzhh
Subject: Re: record-lisp.el - current status
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 13:50:52 +0800

Juri Linkov wrote:

> I doubt that someone will want to customize the default conversion logic.
> It is easier to fix the resulting Lisp code than to customize very complex
> conversion rules.  I think we should try to find the most useful rules and
> hard-code them.  When there is no clear preferable level of interactivity
> to generate, then we could produce alternative Lisp code commented out in
> the output, so the user could uncomment and use it if necessary.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear that the default conversion IS now hard coded.
The customization I mentioned refers to one that's done just before
generation of code (on a per recording basis). It's meant to be simple but
capture the most differentiating points on what kind of code the user may
expect. In other words, the customization provides a better start point for
further modification with a little effort. The user has the choice to
directly  modify the default version though.

Currently I captures those points as variable usage: the user can choose to
use a variable (strings, mark, etc) as an argument to the defun, or as a
local variable, or as a constant (ie. not a var at all). This has the
convenience that multiple places referring to the same variable all change
accordingly at generation. For the same convenience I also provide var name
and constant value as customization options.

Maybe we need another phrase for the customization provided here, to avoid
misunderstandings.

--
   regards,
yzhh