Re: Why Emacs needs a modern bug tracker

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Why Emacs needs a modern bug tracker
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 16:48:10 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:
> You are assuming that all parts of the code are being developed, it
> seems.  That's not what happens in Emacs, probably due to its age and
> the fact that core features are developed/refactored only very seldom,
> or not at all.

OK, fair point.  In that case Emacs will behave, statistically, more
like a project the size of the code's active region.  Not entirely,
you could still have bad interactions with the "dark matter", but...
do you have any idea what the approximate LOC of the active region is?

I might, by straining hard, manage to believe it's smaller than
Wesnoth.  No way it's going to be smaller than GPSD.

> In any case, unless we lose a huge amount of bugs due to lack of
> tracking,

I strongly suspect you do.  This is testable; if it's so, you'll
see a lot more of them as people become aware of the tracker.

> But as I said elsewhere, let's have a bug tracker happen, and see
> where it gets us.  I have seen enough talking on this issue; if
> there's energy left in those who think a bug tracker will make a
> difference, let's see it in action and argue later.

All right.  I'll need administrator permissions on our Savannah site.
Can you set those?