Re: w32 issues

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: w32 issues
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:32:04 -0500

> Yes, that is good and it is also now mentioned in the manual:
>   (info "(emacs) Windows Printing")
> The problem is that it requires an external program that not everyone has.

I understand that some people choose not to install Ghostscript, but are
there cases where they *couldn't* install it?
I think we should more actively encourage the use of Ghostscript
under Windows.  E.g. we may want to provide a link to an appropriate
web-page.  And advertize the fact that it would allow them to print to
PDF as well from any application as well (anything that can undermine
Adobe is good in my book).

> Another way is printing using a web browser which all users on w32
> have.  I hope that htmlfontify.el soon will be part of Emacs.  It is
> then easy to print using that to make a html copy of the buffer look
> and some additional routines, like those I put together in hfyview.el.
> You can actually have a bit of fun with that:

This is not a bad option (especially because it can be valuable under
GNU/Linux as well, and also can be used for other purposes such as
web-publishing), but the advantage of using Ghostscript instead is that
all the rest of Emacs's printing code can be used.

        Stefan