Re: Improving X selection?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Improving X selection?
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 04:21:41 +0900

David De La Harpe Golden writes:
 > On 07/02/2008, Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden> wrote:
 >
 > > How does middle-button *affect* clipboard and/or kill-ring?  Do you
 > > mean something like "consult"?
 > >
 > Consult clipboard, affect kill ring.  With existing emacs unpatched
 > mouse-yank-at-click, the kill-ring is affected (since the yank uses
 > current-kill which uses the interprogram-paste-function, potentially
 > /pushing onto/ kill ring.)

Oh, right.  If you change primary selection semantics from current
Emacs semantics to standard X11 semantics, then only by accident will
the current selection already be on the kill-ring.  This reveals a
side effect of current Emacs "paste selection" implementation.

Have you given thought to queueing (ie, at the back of the kill-ring)
the primary selection rather than pushing it (on the front)?  Seems an
obvious "best of both worlds combination" of current Emacs behavior
and purist X11 semantics.  I guess it's a YAGNI, and pollutes the
kill-ring in this context?