Re: [21.1.90]: point put at point-min in *compilation*

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: [21.1.90]: point put at point-min in *compilation*
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 21:59:57 +0200

> Ok.  Though it is worth pointing out that the other few who have
> expressed a preference have said that the default would be better as t.

I agree that the default value for compilation-scroll-output as t (or
maybe a new option `first-error') is more useful than nil, because when
the user is not interested in reading all output, but only wants to see
the result of compilation or its error messages, then there is no need to
switch to the compilation buffer and use scrolling commands in it, because
all necessary information will be displayed at the end of compilation
(either with point at the end of the compilation buffer or on the first
error).  Additionally, this will display the progress of compilation.
But when the user wants to read the whole compilation buffer, then M-< is
just the first scrolling command to type among many other to navigate in
the compilation buffer.

> It is also worth pointing out that the other (non-Emacs) build tool I
> use also behaves that way.
> Emacs 21 and 22.1 also behave that way (apart from the first invocation)
> and I bet nobody complained about that.  (As I understand it, Drew was
> complaining about M-x grep, which I agree with, and its default would be
> better as nil.)

Yes, unlike compilation, in the grep buffer it is important to start reading
the output from the top.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/