Re: new version of the proposed emacs icons

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: new version of the proposed emacs icons
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 19:08:52 -0800

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

  > >   >     A number of people were questioning why are we changing icons.
  > >   >
  > >   > I do not insist that we change.  And if we change, I do not insist
  > >   > we pick one of these two.
  > >
  > > OK, so let's find a way to move forward with this.
  > >
  > > One of the most sensible comments that was made about the
  > > icons was that we had a different icon for each major version.
  > > We can use the proposed icon for emacs-23.
  > >
  > > Given that we don't really have an overabundance of artists willing
  > > to work on things like this, and that the proposed icons look
  > > really good, let's check in version 1 (it leads by one vote).  We
  > > have to show some goodwill here.  There's enough time to refine
  > > the icon until 23.1 is released.
  > >
  > > Does this sound like a sensible plan?
  >
  > Well, let's see.

[snip vote tallying]

I also got votes by private email from people that felt that adding yet
another message to the list is not a good idea.

  > In any case, if you count only the few people who expressed a preference,
  > that's a pretty small sample. What's the hurry? Just post the candidates
  > somewhere and let people comment on them at that location (instead of
  > filling this list).

The hurry is what stated in my message: "let's find a way to move
forward with this".  What you are asking for does not qualify for moving
forward, yet more discussion is unlikely to bring anything that has not
been said already, in other words, going that way is not productive.

  > Speaking of the artist, which version does s?he prefer, and why? What does
  > s?he think of the suggestions? We haven't heard from the artist, have we?

I don't think the artist (Kentaro Ohkouchi) speaks English. All the
communication has been through Seiji Zenitani.

  > I also don't know what you mean by "We have to show some goodwill here." Can
  > you elaborate on the urgency and the goodwill problem?

Let's see, if I was to put myself in the shoes of the artist I would
think something like this: "I've done all this work, is it useful or not?
Is it worth it to invest even more of my time doing this?"
So yes, out of respect for the work that has been done, it would be nice
if we could do something about this.

Again, this discussion has been going on for long enough, a concrete
plan to go forward has been proposed.   I would like to urge anyone
thinking to add more to this discussion that before doing that first ask
yourself a question: "Does my message help get this thing done?"

Thanks

        --dan

PS: The version currently in CVS was disliked by RMS because the "M"
looks like a moustache.